Sunday, April 10, 2011

Untitled

In my quiet I imagine there to be open land and space.  
Wintry wonderland, where the tree branches reach like 
fingers or veins into the sky, creating shapes of woman's
legs and letting you know how old the earth is.  I want to
kiss them and run my fingers along the bark, the dry skin
no one wants to touch.  If inside such quiet you should find
me sitting in my snow pants on the roots sucking in all the
cold air until my lungs and nostrils burn like lungs and nostrils
are supposed to burn when the cold is dry, dry, dry.

I imagine there's more to life than just waking up and feeling like
you're just another day.  Poetry just in keeping your eyes open
and staring into clouds, waiting for birds to come out of the pillows
and flex their deceptively solid wings, their bones so hollow you could
whistle music through their joints and pretend you're a kite on a string
while you swing and sing with the windy catches and dips overlooking
God's vastness and valleys that remember you to be so big even though
you make out to see yourself so small.

I feel like Bobby, want like Claire and cry like Jonathan.   My fingers are 
longer than God made them out to be and if I stretch myself out far enough
then I can tap your shoulders and then you'll know that I was standing there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment