Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I am so smart! S-M-R-T!

So as I was plodding through my day I came upon an interesting conversation with a friend of mine.  Granted I wasn't looking to create any kind of great debate, and my thoughts on the matter were genuine and true.  To give context, we were talking about school and plans for her going back.

I agree with the fact that debt isn't something one looks forward to while doing the school thing because the more you acquire the longer it takes to pay off the debt.  Or at least that's the usual run of it.  I'll be upfront and say I'm a little more than 20K in the hole right now, and I'm not even done with my God-damn BFA degree.  Why?  Because it took me so long to figure out this was what I wanted.  But anywho.

 School.  Costs money.  Period.  Whether you are the shining golden boy, girl, person, or  gimp donkey with a genius IQ, you're going to watch your bank account wither and die under the duress of trying to carry the weight of respected academia on your shoulders. 

There are alternatives, however, to making this load a little better to bear.  You could be a good ol' boy and join the military, turn into Safari Master of the Universe  and hunt down the wily scholarships and grants that would pay for some or all of your education, or find a government job after surviving the hell of attaining your Bachelor's and after several years of being their bitch-monkey you have your loans forgiven.  (inhale)

We live in a great country where in order to be somebody, you need to be buried 6 feet under in debt to show what a great contributor to humanity you are by willing to give of your heart by the sweat of your brow.  

It's this kind of nauseating rat maze without an exit hole that makes me envious of those who took their Creator given craft and made a living for themselves through self teaching, the balls to live life by the seat of their pants, and my favorite: dumb luck.  

School isn't the answer, but for one reason or another I have made it mine.  There's always a little voice in the back of my head asking what the hell I'm doing here because I'm constantly feeling like I'm not contributing to much of anything.  Although recently I've found a new love with animation and I'm hoping that my labor of love for this new interest blooms into something I can be proud to call my own.  

We shall see, sweet Universe.  We shall see.





0 comments:

Post a Comment