Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Eye candy glommy goodness

So, with the start of the new term, come new sights and sounds for the mushier minded folk such as I. Left to the wastelands of summertime where all I could think about were blood orange mason jars, comics, video games, and naked hot tubbing.

And now?

Well, it's more or less the same, but with a few new tricks up my sleeve. Through endless wandering in the vastness of intergalactic planetary interwebby goodness I have stumbled upon some media that I personally find to be of interest. I've somehow managed to find a few animation shorts in their entirety (at least I hope so) through YouTube.

The first of which is Oscar Winner 2005's "The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello" , an Australian short created by Anthony Lucas.

It is set in the world of Gothia, a noir steampunk world in which the protagonist Jasper Morello is sent on a mission by the government to set up mobile weather beacons while leaving his wife back in the city where a plague is decimating its population. *inhale* And that's where it starts. I'm a fan for the aesthetics, but maybe I was too distracted because the plot felt a little sleepy for what it was about. I'd be willing to give it another go. Anyway, here it is:



Following that I came across a short I'd seen on good ol' Netflix, called Harvie Krumpet. This was also an Australian short, won an Academy Award for Animated Short Film in 2003, and, interestingly enough, also found in full length on YouTube. Who knew? Directed by Adam Elliot, the story is about sweet old Harvek Milos Krumpetzki, who moves to Australia from Poland during the outbreak of WWII and proceeds to suffer one disaster after the next throughout his time spent on this earth. Yet despite the maximum ridiculosity that permeates throughout Harvey Krumpet's life, he maintains a wonderfully optimistic outlook. Ingenious, and enviable. It's really sad in some parts, and downright hilarious in others. The values are simple and straightforward, with Geoffery Rush as the narrator. What more could you ask for?






And, last but not least, the cutest short I've seen so far. Gotta love me some little blue aliens:





0 comments:

Post a Comment